Monday, April 6, 2015

Back in the previous century there weren’t many people writing about motorcycle travel in foreign lands. One book that inspired me was “Jupiter Travels” by Ted Simon. He took off around the world back in the 70’s and wrote a book about it. It’s a great read if you get the chance. Ted is a fairly shy man. I met him at a BMW rally 10 or 15 years ago back when I was riding bigger BMWs. He had just ridden around the world a second time retracing his original route. He was old enough to be my father, and it was encouraging to see that I too could be exploring the world for a few more decades. Today I found an interview with Ted on YouTube: Motolombia flew him down for a tour in Colombia. He is now 84. Wow! Cool.

1 comment:

  1. Ted still going strong at 84. Let's hope we are still twisting the throtttle and seeking new roads when we're his age.

    ReplyDelete