Monday, January 26, 2015

Our culture has taught us that new things are good and used things are bad. There are very few places in our throw away society where beauty is found in patina and well worn surfaces. Of course there are exceptions. It is always sad to see the look on the faces of people on “The Antique Roadshow” on PBS when they learn that because they stripped and refinished their antique pre-revolutionary war armoire it is now worth $50,000 dollars less than if it had the original patina.

The lack of appreciation towards well worn things tends to cross over into American attitudes towards old people as well. This is all well and good when you are young in the U.S. After the age of 60 you are probably better off in a foreign country where old age is appreciated and treated with respect. Perhaps it is because I am getting older, but I must admit that I now appreciate the look of a kind, well worn face in a third world country more than I used to:

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Tio. I turn 60 this year, and tend to value humor and experience over youthful, exuberant self absorption every time. How much longer I wonder before I am at the "hey you kids, get off my lawn" stage. As you know my current ride de choix is a CH150. State of the art for Honda in 1985. Looking forward to your exoneration.

    ReplyDelete